Pricing Package and Performance Question

Ask general questions or talk about OpenTok here! Questions about a specific OpenTok API Platform should be asked in its respective forum.

Pricing Package and Performance Question

Postby oeryavuz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:36 am

I checked the pricing and it seems 1-to-1 sessions are for free. I want to create a website similar to dating-roulette sites where people date online with video chat. (always 1 to 1). According to your pricing, it seems free. I am just curious, when I connect people in my website, over your service and make money out of it, will you take no monthly charge over this? Did I understand your pricing concept wrong?

Secondly, my website will operate in Turkey. I am not sure about the dynamics of your service but Does the speed of webcam sessions depend on user's internet connections, or is it also effected by the location of your servers, i.e. considering you have no infrastructure in Turkey, can I suffer from speed in webcam sessions?

And, I would be grateful if you just give me an insight about how much it would take to integrate your service to my website. I have been talking to coders and they told me 2-10 days (2 if things work out smoothly) including testing. Does it seem reasonable for experienced developers?

Sorry if my questions are a little bit vague but I really need rough answers to get me started.

Thanks,
Was this post helpful? (0)
oeryavuz

Thumbs Up: 0

Re: Pricing Package and Performance Question

Postby janine » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:49 am

Hello -

1-to-1 sessions are free. If all connections are powered through our peer to peer technology (a) it should be lower cost for us than going through our media servers, and (b) it should not be dependent on where our servers are located (i.e. you should have decent quality if your users have good bandwidth). However, if your users are not able to establish peer to peer connections (e.g. blocked ports), they will fall back to using our clientserver infrastructure and this will likely be of poorer quality than p2p.

We could not possibly give you an estimate of how long it will take to complete your project. While it is possible to get live video streaming with API in 15 minutes, integrating it into your application is highly dependent on your spec . 2 - 10 days sound a little short for any production-level application but not out of the question.
janine

Thumbs Up: 20

Postby oeryavuz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am

Hello again, thank you for your answer. Just trying to understand the concept of your service 100% before I get it implemented. If you can just confirm, I would be grateful!

I am getting a website developed in php which will allow people to have 1-to-1 webcam sessions.
If things go perfect, and my website gets over 1,000 active customers in a couple years: an estimate of 1.2 million minutes session/month will be generated.
And since my website will only use 1-to-1 sessions, does it mean you will charge no $ to me?
What is your benefit for this? (Does your sessions have ads? Or do you just hope to sell Value added sessions sessions like skype does?)

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your answer as this will effect my project hugely.
oeryavuz

Thumbs Up: 0

Postby edward » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 am

Hello! Yes, all of the 1:1 sessions are free - our pricing model is similar to Skype (free for 1:1, costs $ for group minutes) - we hope that our partners utilize p2p for their 1:1 sessions which is of minimal cost to us. Also, if partners enjoy our p2p service and sessions, it'll probably encourage them to also use our group minutes! Either way, keep us posted on your progress and good luck!
edward

Thumbs Up: 10

Return to Discussion and Questions