10 second audio delays in europe

Ask general questions or talk about OpenTok here! Questions about a specific OpenTok API Platform should be asked in its respective forum.

10 second audio delays in europe

Postby rika » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 am

i am using your product for a website my company is building for a partner in sweden, but we are having trouble with the quality. i've gone through the troubleshooting checklist, and i'm not sure where to go from here... some details:

-we are using audio only
-calls from NY to NY work perfectly
-calls between NY and LA seem to work ok, with ~1 second delay
-calls between LA and Stockholm are very low quality, ~10 second delays, audio going in and out
-calls between Stockholm and Stockholm experience low quality issues as well, ~10 second delays, audio going in and out

is it possible that on the free tier the quality would be lower? the docs say to not pass in a "location hint", so that the server location is chosen by the user that connects to the session first... does this location hint reset after some time? (we essentially have "chatrooms" that have an opentok session id, and so on multiple instances over the course of a few days we will reuse the same session id... perhaps the location hint was chosen at the beginning and then is not relocating on a later date?).

i think one thing that would be useful is if there was a demo page (like this: http://www.tokbox.com/opentok/api/tools ... world.html) where multiple people could connect. that way, we could have our partner connect, have another person in sweden connect, and if it works well there then we know that there is an issue in our implementation (and if not, unfortunately, we'll know that the issue is more about network/servers).

thanks in advance for your help.

here are some details about our partner's computer setup:
-flash version: 11.5.31.2
-osx version: 10.7.4
-chrome version: 23.0.1271.64
-ping: 12ms
-bandwidth down: 18.17 mbit/s
-bandwidth up: 4.63 mbit/s
Was this post helpful? (0)
rika

Thumbs Up: 0

Re: 10 second audio delays in europe

Postby mumm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Rika,

The quality is the same on the free tier as it is on any paid tier. Unfortunately it is entirely possible you will not get consistently high quality when communicating across continents like you mention.

However, once you generate a session, that session will be placed in some geographical location closest to the first person that connects to it. Once it is placed, it stays there. One thing you can try is to generate a new session every time you want a new chat room (i.e. don't reuse sessions)—thus when someone from Stockholm tries to connect, it will find the optimal server for them.

Jon
Was this post helpful? (2)
mumm

Thumbs Up: 27

Return to Discussion and Questions