Security/Encryption and Firewall/NAT info

Open forum for all suggestions and feature requests from the community

Security/Encryption and Firewall/NAT info

Postby habassa5 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Can you guys give us a detailed, holistic update on the iOS webRTC:

* Security and Encryption architecture (Btw, I saw a reference somewhere to DTLS-SRTP)?
* Firewall/NAT traversal (including protocols, ports, etc)?

A detailed overview would be very helpful (the forums only offer a few tidbits), and a whitepaper all the better. Even if you haven't implemented everything, it would be great to comprehensively determine what is here now and what's on the roadmap.

Thanks a lot!

+Salim
Was this post helpful? (0)
habassa5

Thumbs Up: 1

Re: Security/Encryption and Firewall/NAT info

Postby don » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Salim,

With regards to the ports we're using in iOS for the WebRTC stack, we require the following:

OpenTok:

WebRTC Media:
It's random and we don't currently plan on changing its behavior in its current form. It's recommended that UDP traffic is not blocked on your network and you should be in a good position.

STUN is used to determine the best port pairs between clients and negotiate UDP/TCP connections for media

Security and Encryption:
SRTP is used in WebRTC, using 128bit AES encryption

The future:
Chrome 24 will introduce support for TURN which will allow us to tunnel UDP traffic for networks that block it and get around tricky NATs between two different clients.

If you have any more specific questions about WebRTC you can refer to: http://www.webrtc.org/reference/webrtc-internals

The WebRTC source is here: http://code.google.com/p/webrtc/source/browse

If you have any other specific questions regarding our platform, please contact bizdev@tokbox.com and we can assist you further!
don

Thumbs Up: 11

Postby habassa5 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Don, thanks a lot, this was very helpful.
habassa5

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:34 am

don wrote:The future:
Chrome 24 will introduce support for TURN which will allow us to tunnel UDP traffic for networks that block it and get around tricky NATs between two different clients.

Hi Don,

(all following is regarding the WebRTC)

I'm trying it with Chrome Beta (24.0.1312.45), Chrome Dev (25.0.1364.5 dev) and even with the Chrome Canary (26.0.1373.0) and none of them seems to work behind the firewall (getting error message 1008).

They do work only when I open both TCP *AND* UDP ports 1024:65535, which, of course, defies the purpose of firewall.

What is still not clear to me - are future Chrome versions (>=24) going to work through the firewall without opening ANY TCP/UDP ports?

I understand that each firewall has its own inner workings which I have to figure out, but a precise description of which ports, in which direction should be opened would greatly help me.

And there's another thing that puzzles me - I don't have to open any ports for demo https://opentokrtc.com to work, and it even works with the current Chrome (23.0.1271.101)...

Thank you,
Best regards,
Miro
Miro

Thumbs Up: 0

Postby song » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Miro,

Like Don said, Future Chrome versions (>=24) WebRTC will probably introduce support for TURN, which basically means that we would have the control to channel the media streams through a specific port instead of a whole range of ports currently. This allows us to tell network administrators which port to open up to allow OpenTok Video streams.

OpenTokRTC.com could be working because it is connecting via HTTPS, which in some cases bypasses firewall limitations.

Song
song

Thumbs Up: 5

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Song,

Thank you for your time and answer but if you read my question more thoroughly, I wrote that I have already tested it with all currently available "future" versions and none of them worked. That's what puzzles me... :)

And yes, it also occurred to me that the demo site works because of HTTPS protocol but I still have to learn why ;)

Best regards,
Miro
Miro

Thumbs Up: 0

Postby habassa5 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Are STUN/TURN/ICE supported in iOS WebRTC clients?
habassa5

Postby habassa5 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 am

Are STUN/TURN/ICE supported in iOS WebRTC clients?
habassa5

Postby jtsai » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 pm

No, they are not supported right now.

John
jtsai

Thumbs Up: 192

Postby habassa5 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:49 am

Hi John, up above Don said STUN is supported in the iOS WebRTC client? Can you also share some info on your roadmap, particularly for TURN on iOS clients?
habassa5

Postby jtsai » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Stun isn't supported on iOS yet. Don was referring to the web version. We don't have a roadmap for STUN and TURN on iOS yet. We're hoping within a few months.

John
jtsai

Thumbs Up: 192

Return to Suggestions